Monday, July 18, 2016

A tribute to Yvonne Porcella

A call for entries went out earlier this year to do a tribute piece for Yvonne Porcella, you can read about it here. I rarely make a piece for specific themed shows, but as soon as I read about this I knew what I wanted to do. I was never fortunate enough to meet Yvonne but in 1994 she wrote a book that just lit up my mind, Colors Changing Hue.

I was just starting on my surface design path and totally devoured and tried everything in the book. One of the techniques was burned silk appliqué, I loved the way it looked and did one small piece. At the time I was a machine sewing only kind of gal and although I loved the technique I didn't do any more because it was hand sewing.

Fast forward 22 years and the first thing that came to mind when I saw the call to enter was appliquéd burnt silk. The second thing that came to mind was my memories of autumn in the north east. I already had dyed and painted silk in autumn colors because I've wanted to do an autumn piece since my last trip back there six years ago.

I've been working on this for several weeks, between trips out of town. This past week I finally spent the time to get it done.

Starting with the farthest away hills, all the little tree blobs are silk with burnt edges.

Adding more.
Now some closer trees.
And the finished piece.
Memories of a NE Autumn
Still have to take some good photos, get the sleeve on, a label, write up the tribute and about my inspiration and then get it entered.

The Weekly Leaf
This weeks leaf is from a large ivy vine in Tacoma, WA. I pressed it and brought it home. The print I'm using is actually from the leaf itself, in the photo below you can see the leaf on the bottom right, the first print from the gelli plate on the bottom left, the second print from the gelli plate on the upper right and the actual leaf print on the upper left.


Week #29



Daily Stitching updates

Gelli prints #194-200




Shades of Orange #121-127



Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"

7 comments:

  1. Yvonne would be proud of you!! What a lovely tribute. I actually did know her and above all, she was always a source of inspiration and encouragement in the quilt world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work reflecting Yvonne is wonderful and will be viewed and appreciated by so many and by all who view it in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tribute to Yvonne is fabulous. I love the perspective you've achieved. Are the trees hand buttonhole stitched down? It's hard to tell from the photo.

      Delete
  3. You do innovative and creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fall scene and the connection with Yvonne. Are you fusing them down at all or just stitching them?

    ReplyDelete